Saturday, May 28, 2005

Wild, windy and warm

Chelsea Flower Show recorded over 30C yesterday with both flowers and Alan Titchmarsh wilting in the heat. We reached 23C here in the north west with poor Glasgow only making 13C. Today has been dominated by high winds over 60mph in the NE apparently - though it's been fairly sunny here it's only felt warm in shelter. What a country this is.

I've bought trailing petunias for the hanging baskets. So what, you may think? Well, I don't 'do' petunias, just like I don't do bizzie lizzies, marigolds, or any of the other mass produced summer bedding that are piled up outside B&Q every Saturday. But these are a stunning white with purple streaks and scented and I bought them from our local farm shop. I'm giving them just one chance to prove me wrong. We tried to rake up enough moss from the lawn to line the baskets with, but it just blew away in the wind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker