Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Work, life and Peter Singer

Peter Singer's book asks 'How are we to live?', meaning, 'what constitutes a life lived well today?'. His answers lay in sustainability, environmental responsibility and active wealth redistribution. For Singer, giving to charity is not a 'good' thing, but just the right thing. Not giving is plain bad.

How does this translate into an ordinary working life. Will I look back and feel that I 'lived well'? How will I work this out? If in the course of running a business I create jobs, treat staff well, pay them fairly, recycle our laser print cartridges and use water-based paint on the door frames, does that do it? If I lived off the land, would that be better - or would I be pricing someone else out? What if I farmed organically - would that make it right, or should I earn what I can and spend it ethically, thus supporting the organic industry and giving more to charities than I could if I lived a cashless life?

Yes, this is navel gazing and yes, I should get out more. But this is about living once, living right and being happy in the skin I'm in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker