Saturday, June 18, 2005

Four seasons in one week

5 days ago it was so cold I had the pumpkins under winter cloches. Today reached 29.9C in the shade. We went to a family event and the paddling pool came out, partly for fun, but mostly because the children were overheating. Several of my newer plants are wilting in the heat so I've had the hose out. One of the great merits of living in the north west is that there is almost never a problem with the water supply.

In spring, the garden looks fine with its informal look, but now it looks untidy as plants flop and run to seed. I feel a strong urge to redefine the edges and smarten things up in a way I don't bother with earlier in the year. The best thing right now are the roses and hardy geraniums. I bought a single white Eremurus at GW - if it's happy here I'll get more as they will also help fill the summer gap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker