Sunday, June 05, 2005

Inspiration - and expenditure

I didn't get as far as Tatton Park - I drove on auto-pilot to Dunham Massey and that was all the inspiration I needed. Wide drifts of Meconopsis Sheldonii with a wisp of white geranium behind and a carpet of pink Persicaria in front. Brilliant. Fabulous clumps of Hosta Sieboldii with leaves the size of elephants' feet, sweeps of maybe 10 different perennial geraniums - a deciduous azalea and beech woodland, Enkianthus campanulata, superb acers. Almost everything is labelled so you can admire and learn at the same time. See below for a close up of Magnolia 'Wilsonii' -it was underplanted very effectively with astrantias.

Brief visit over, I shot off happily in search of Geranium 'Kashmir White' and found it in a nursery I'd driven past loads of times in a very uninspiring spot next to the M6. 2 for £5.00. Half an hour later saw the same in Bents at Leigh for £8.99 each, who didn't have Mme Alfred Carriere in their David Austin rose collection so that will have to wait. I do hate that place - it's not a nursery any more, it's a 'lifestyle zone'.

By the time I got home it was nearly 3pm so just time to plant up my new acquisitions (10 new plants including my first pittosporum - I hope global warming really is happening...). I do spend some money on plants. But I spend next to nothing on handbags, shoes, makeup and clothes so I don't think my plant buying habit makes me a bad person, all things considered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker