Wednesday, October 12, 2005

On listlessness

I'm going to stop making lists. As fast I get things done, new jobs become apparent. It's pointless - I probably only do it because I think I'll drop dead when the list is empty.

Anyway, thanks to great weather on Sunday and some assistance from OH we can finally hold our heads up on the street. The blackthorn, hawthorn, mahonias and self seeded sycamores are no longer stretching halfway across the footpath (it was still plenty wide enough to pass, but still a little unsociable, I accept).

The hired scarifier worked a treat and even left neat stripes. The four bags of top dressing vanished in a quarter of the lawn - I seriously underestimated how much it would need. The veg plot is half weeded and the shade tunnel is finished except for the ends.

Plants that look good now:

- Fothergilla - finally! Still small, but fabulously red
- Rose 'The Times' yes, still flowering
- french lavenders
- all the hardy fuchsias - Tom Thumb and Riccartonii especially
- Spirea 'Limelight' turning wonderfully red
- Sorbus hupehensis
- Acer palmatum atropurpureum
- a little clump of cyclamen
- Cosmos 'Sonata' (would look better if I deadheaded them though)
- the old-fashioned sweet peas are still going strong
- the sunflowers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker