Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The sweet taste of summer

No matter how small my garden is, I will always grow food. It's not about price, or even quality. It's about the immediacy of walking up the garden, picking something and eating it straight away. I always pick when the crop is very young - quantity is not the aim. So far this year we've had salad leaves, coriander, basil, broad beans (picked when tiny), baby beetroots, carrots and new potatoes. We're now into french beans, runner beans and snap peas.

The strawberries and raspberries provided daily snacks for me straight off the plant for a few sweet weeks and what I couldn't get through are now jam. The gooseberries have been simmered in elderflower juice and are in the freezer. I left a few to turn golden for me to eat fresh. The damson tree has its first good crop and I spoted the first hint of purple on the fruit today.

I trie to make the veg plot look prettier this year, laid out in squares with blue canes and neat blocks. The runner beans have gone a bit wild but it's still essentially tidy. And the cordon tomatoes have been the tip of the year from college. They're not ripe yet, but they look the business.
The veg plot in full flow

Cordon tomatoes - a miniature version of Reaseheath's vast tomato production system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker