Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Exam time - and a catch up.

I took the final part of my RHS Level 2 exam today (formerly the General). Trickier than I expected but I think I've done OK. What with revision, wet weather and keeping a promise to sort out the neighbours garden I've not done much in mine.

But I had a good tidy up tonight and yesterday retrained my tomatoes into strung cordons instead of up canes. Partly because I wanted to try the technique, but mostly because this was necessary as the plants had reached the top of the canes and were at the polytunnel's eaves. I'll post a pic when they've settled in.

The other major job that's now complete is the fence between us and the neighbours - complete with 3' gap for me to get through to do their garden. Never enough hours...

In the meantime, a couple more pics. Primula vialli is a real star - much longer lasting than P. beesiana and a real head turner. 'Phallic' is the usual word people seem to think of when they see it. And the poppy was free - when the old boundary fence was removed some many-year-old poppy seeds germinated, dressing the bare soil in a brilliant scarlet, that is until the fence installers stomped on them. Still, if I don't weed too carefully next spring I'm sure there'll be more.

Primula vialli. A real star.

(Most of) The best things in life are free...

2 Comments:

At 2:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures ... I struggled for ages to get a good image of the poppies in my front garden and still never managed it ... and I’m so pleased 'helping your neighbour out' is still something that happens - so often I read blogs where people are ranting about their neighbour did this, the next door allotment holder did that ... fingers crossed for your exam results ...

 
At 11:19 pm, Blogger Sue Beesley said...

Thanks GG. I had real trouble with the poppy as well, they move in the slightest breeze. I cropped out my hand which is just below the picture, holding the stem still...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker