Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Another record, but not for long...

Last year's high of 30.6C was blown away today with a high of 33.4C. It's still 32C out now at 5pm. And tomorrow is forecast to be even hotter. I'm due at Tatton RHS Show - I think I might go first thing, then hide in shade until it cools down. Pity the poor souls stuck in the 13 mile jam on the M6. We've emptied the freezer and put it outside in the sun to defrost - it won't take long, even with inches of solid ice to get through.

So many plants are showing signs of heat stress. Thank heavens for the shade tunnel and the north-west's ample water supply. But regardless of the weather, I've got to get the garden looking good, just in case. I had a call from the BBC's Gardener of the Year programme and didn't do too badly on the questionnaire, so it's possible I'll have to host a visitation from the scrutiny team.

A couple more photos from this week:

This centaurea cyanus is the most stunning bright blue. It was in the same mixed packet as the flower pictured below
If someone can tell me what this pretty purple annual is I'd be pleased.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker