Sunday, August 06, 2006

Late summer is here

When the sedum and heleniums are in flower, when Anemone 'Honorine Jobert' makes her first appearance, when the tomatoes are ripening and the damsons are turning purple then we are definitely in late summer. Just the beginning of it perhaps, but the change is unmistakeable. The sun is slightly lower and the light is more golden somehow, clearer and warmer than in the bright lemon-and-lime light of May and June.

Time to take semi-ripe cuttings and collect seed, take the harvest from the veg plot and start to think about next year... I must not buy more seed, I must not buy more seed, I must not... Well maybe one or two.

Anemone 'Honorine Jobert'. Some find this plant invasive, but it's one of the few that is happy in my very dry shade.
Berberis thunbergii 'Harlequin'. I love the mottled leaves of this pretty and trouble-free plant. Plus red berries which last into winter.
Sedum 'Ruby Glow'. I'm growing this with Knautia macedonia which is a great combina- tion

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker