Friday, November 04, 2005

What to do with a shade tunnel

With all the young plants I've got growing I wanted somewhere outdoors, unheated but sheltered to grow them on, so I thought I'd build a shade tunnel. The idea was to protect young plants from the drying effects of wind and sun to let good root systems form.

Well it's all but finished now - just the ends to do, if I can be bothered. First impressions are that plants seem calmer, less stressed in there than in the border or the polytunnel. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it over the next year or two. Somehow it feels like a really grown up sort of space to have - almost a mini-nursery. And anyway it hides the garage from the house and hides the polytunnel from the neighbours. They'd have me build a Victorian Orangery instead, but it's not my style (i.e. I can't afford it)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker