Monday, January 02, 2006

Damp, cold and mizzly

I got as far as putting my boots on and mooching up the garden, but it was truly horrible - barely scraped above 3C with a cold fog that lingered almost all day. So I cleared the junk room instead (been meaning to do it for 2 years...)

However, we did get the new addition to the weather station installed - a thermometer and humidity sensor for the polytunnel. The big surprise (assuming the thing is accurate) is that the temperature inside the polytunnel is exactly the same as outside overnight, just less humid. I don't heat the polytunnel, but I did think it would be a degree or two warmer. The two new graph lines are on the weather station link on the right hand menu, below. If I'm going to keep tender plants through the winter it looks like I'll have to experiment with better insulation and some cheap heating.

Lots of bird activity though - a pair of mistle thrushes, a small flock of chaffinches and greenfinches, the usual tits, robins and blackbirds and - spotted a few days ago - a nuthatch.

2 Comments:

At 3:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant website now added to my favourites!
Just discovered great wildbird webcam at www.dorsetscountryside.co.uk

 
At 5:51 pm, Blogger Sue Beesley said...

Thanks Jean, glad you like it. And thanks for the link to the webcam - must figure out how to do that for our bird table too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker