Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A new home for the asparagus

The asparagus plants are winging their way to their new homes via Hilary and Ian at College. I'm sure they'll do better than they were here.

3mm of rain here yesterday - not exactly a downpour but better than nothing. Still only snowdrops out amongst the bulbs - no sign of a crocus flower let alone a narcissus. I need a decent sunny day and an hour or so at home to take a few pictures.

Some plans for this year (apart from passing the RHS General!):
- replace the strawberry plants with new, better varieties
- buy a pot of Acer palmatum seedlings and do some grafting next winter
- get hold of some Hamamellis virginiana seeds/plants and graft the Hamamellis mollis
- take softwood cuttings of the winter flowering cherry
- grow Cavallo Nero cabbage.
- fertilise and water more!

2 Comments:

At 10:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to the poor asparagus? I'm hoping to plant a couple of crowns myself later this year - any warnings?

 
At 3:18 pm, Blogger Sue Beesley said...

Hi HB,

Mine had been for about 3 years and we'd not had anything much off them. I think the reasons were:
- they were too close together (about a foot apart). When I dug them up some had roots extending 2ft outwards and several had died - probably from competition
- although the plot is sunny in winter, it's partly shaded in summer from some trees. I think they need full sun
- I never fed them! Although they like poor soil (and mine is), they probably needed a bit of something.

I'd have kept you some if I'd known last week but they've all gone now. I'm afraid. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker