Saturday, April 08, 2006

Despite being driven indoors four times by squally hail showers, I got a few worthwhile jobs done. I've dug out the border by the pond, lined it with compost bags and backfilled with heavier soil and manure. This is mainly for the new primulas which I've not grown before for lack of a moist area. Three each of Primula beesiana and vialli have gone in. I also split the hosta and the astilbe, making 6 or 7 new plants from each and replanting them in a drift. I think it'll look much better.

I've discovered what happened to the Arum lily which barely produced a leaf last year. I think it nearly died in the heatwave the year before and decided to produce babies. I found hundreds of tiny off-shoots from the mother plant and have potted up the best of them. The original plant came from the huge one that was at my grandparents had at their house in Angmering, so I'm keen to keep it.

Many of last year's offspring are coming to life - I have an acer palmatum atropurpureum from a cutting and a Sorbus 'Joseph Rock' from seed, amongst others. Also two of the Acer palmatum seeds have germinated. These are to grow on for grafting onto later.

Today's picture is Geranium 'Ann Folkard'. I think this young spring growth is a beautiful colour, making it doubly valuable as the flowers are also wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker