Friday, August 11, 2006

Treasure trove

I have become a real magpie when it comes to cuttings and seeds. I don't really need any more plants (not for this garden anyway), but cannot resist the temptation to see what I can grow. Of course I always ask permission, but if you know what you are talking about and the plant is not PBR restricted, people don't tend to refuse.

This week's treasure trove is a handful of Trillium grandiflorum seed pods, collected from the parent plant with the owner's full agreement - they had no plans to use them. I couldn't be more pleased if they were rubies. Time to do some research into the best way to germinate and grow them. I do know that it will be some years before I have a carpet of white trilliums under my dreamt-of hazel coppice.


Trillium grandi- florum seed pods.

My one and only Trillium grandi- florum in flower earlier this year.

4 Comments:

At 9:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean .... I went out to the market yesterday and on the way passed some people who were pruning a large oleander (already???). I couldn't resist. I already have a baby oleander on my balcony garden taken from a cutting last year and I had promised myself, absolutely promised, that it would be the only one. But it's pale pink and these were deep pink ... So I asked and came home with a handful of stems. I now have eight cuttings rooting. Oh well, I suppose I can always give some away .....

 
At 9:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS. Can you explain "PBR restricted"?

 
At 7:25 pm, Blogger Sue Beesley said...

Hi Sue,

It means subject to Plant Breeder's Rights - i.e that you can't propagate it without a licence. Most well known, established varieties are not affected anyway.

 
At 4:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker