Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Easter heaven

Not of the resurrection or chocolate variety but in the earthly form of a four day weekend spent outdoors and an hour of extra evening daylight. Bliss.

Stripped out some large shrubs (earmarked for J's garden) and spread 2 year old leaf mould on the birch tree border ready for my small order of herbaceous perennials. By tomorrow I should be the proud owner of 3 of my on-line namesake - Trillium Grandiflorum and also the Himalyan Blue Poppy that we saw at Dunham Massey last year (Meconopsis somethingorother). I really have to get my act together with watering this year.

On Monday I tackled the fruit bed which had become completely overwhelmed with aquilegia, brambles and couch grass. In previous years the raspberries have flopped over the strawberries, messing up both sets of fruit. I have finally got round to putting up a simple frame to hold them up. Wen now have a surplus of about 40 strawberry plants and 10 raspberry plants to give away to a good home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker