Thursday, February 16, 2006

Rain, crocuses and a wet nose.

Am stuck at home and indoors with a streaming cold (first one for years so can't complain). The high pressure and low temperatures of early Feb have made way for low pressure and rain - the barometer trace for the last 3 days looks like a downhill Olympic ski slope - and an inch and half of much needed rain has freshened the soil and lawn. A few clumps of white crocuses are up but not yet open, as are some irises that I forgotten I'd planted.

Blue skies today and scudding white clouds from the south, but I'll not be venturing outside.

Hilary from college has some Hamamellis virginiana seeds for me. Quite a challenge as they are doubly dormant apparently so it may be some time before I'm grafting my Hamamellis mollis onto it. Might try air-layering this spring instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker