Thursday, August 17, 2006

More looking than doing

Once July is over, my urgent need to cultivate fades somewhat and I'm happy to potter about as and when. Like the plants, I've slowed down. I have seeds unsown, weeds in the patio and a vast harvest of beans unpicked.

It's been cooler and a bit damper, though we've only had odd spits and spots of rain and not not enough to soak, but plants are slowly recovering from the crippling heat of July. The prairie garden looks a bit bitty (too many different plants), but it's thickening out slowly. The heleniums are truly wonderful. And aren't figs the sexiest thing you can grow?

The first ripe fig - there are loads more to come
I really like this Helenium against the purple foliage of the berberis
The prairie garden is settling down. It wil look much better next year.

2 Comments:

At 11:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats that giant leaved thing on the left of the prairie picture ??? All coming along well, my grasses are huge this year and will have to be divided I think...

 
At 4:08 pm, Blogger Sue Beesley said...

Ah - that'll be a very ordinary (and garish pink) rhodedendron which is very close the camera and looks like some tropical plant at that angle. When I get some energy I'm probably taking it out and extending the prairie garden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker