Sunday, August 20, 2006

Serious rain at last

Over the past four days we've had 35mm of rain - more than an inch and a half. 25mm of that fell in 90 minutes on Thursday. I'm just glad I cut the lawn and tidied up on Thursday.

I've cut the first two Uchiki Kuri squash and we've had our first proper bowlful of red and gold tomatoes. I think the ripening is being slowed by shade from the squash leaves in the polytunnel roof, but there's plenty of summer left for them to ripen.

The cleomes have been a roaring success, although they are a bit shocking pink for my liking. Still, they look good against the dark leaves of the purple phormium and Sedum 'Purple Emperor'

It's not easy photographing rain. This shot took about 20 attempts to get right.

Home grown Cleomes - Shockingly pink but very long lasting

2 Comments:

At 1:51 pm, Blogger She Who Digs said...

Wow what a great photo- bet you got soaked! I had to read your intro again to check where you are, as it looked like a tropical downpour with luscious plants to match.

 
At 5:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comment on the photographing made me laugh. Since I started blogging I've spent more time on taking the photographs than on writing the blog, and pur computer is full of almost-but-not-quite-similar photos. Thank goodness for digital cameras!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker