Friday, December 08, 2006

Cyclamen recycling.

For the past two weeks it seems that every time I was ready to get outside it started pouring. The rain hasn't been continuous, more a series of sharp, cold showers every day - enough to make serious gardening impractical.

But the sun smiles on the good, I'm told, and today I replanted the neighbours' window tubs, taking out the near-dead pelargoniums and planting them with cyclamen kept from last year. I'm quite pleased with these, because I bought them last autumn and they flowered all winter. I took them out in spring, re-potted them, fed them and kept them in part shade and they've flowered again beautifully since late October. I do like a bit of recycling. So far I've failed to keep cuttings from the pelargoniums over winter, but if I get that right they can have endless, free, seasonal window boxes. Anyway, I got my reward. The sun came out as I was setting out the newly planted window boxes, so I reached for the camera, of course.

The newly planted window boxes. There are so many buds it won't be long before they are covered in flowers.

Winter jasmine is so common, but so special when everything else is drab.

And my trusty Prunus subhirtella 'Autumn- alis', ready to flower its pretty little socks off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker