Sunday, January 07, 2007

Little moments of joy

What a gardener needs on a chilly, damp and sunless day is a little moment of joy and today there were plenty. A song thrush sang all day from a nearby treetop, my witch hazel, Hamamellis mollis, is finally unfurling its reluctant buds and I potted up about 40 tiny, pearlescent cyclamen coum bulblets which have grown from the seed I collected in summer. They should flower in a couple of years. It's a slow process but that's amateur horticulture for you.

Cyclamen coum seedlings. They are ready to pot up - very carefully - when they have two leaves.
Hamamellis mollis just bursting into flower. The scent will fill the garden in a few days

5 Comments:

At 2:34 am, Blogger Carol Michel said...

The witch hazel is always a welcome bloomer. Is it early this year? And it is a good day when you can plant seedlings and get your hands a bit dirty, isn't it? Lovely blog.

 
At 8:36 am, Blogger Sue Beesley said...

Hi Carol,

If anything the witch hazel is late - it usually starts to flower on or just after the shortest day. Glad you like the blog. Sue

 
At 10:16 pm, Blogger Sue Swift said...

Hi Sue,
I always grow my own cyclamen too - but lose a lot precisely at the potting up stage. I suspect I might be overwatering but I'm not sure. Any hints?

 
At 10:30 pm, Blogger Sue Beesley said...

I'm still experimenting with cyclamen seedlings too. This time I'm keeping them outside but sheltered, mimicking what would happen in the wild. I'll let you know!

 
At 3:50 am, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Thanks for the link to my blog; I have likewise added a link to your blog on my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker