Sunday, August 27, 2006

Yellow tomatoes and purple hazelnuts

Before I forget, I want to make some notes for myself about this year's tomato crop. The variety is Orange Bourgoin, an old French variety. I've grown them cordon style up strings and for once have remembered to water and feed them enough.

Anyway - they've been a resounding success. Even in partial shade in the polytunnel the fruit are ripening. They're doing fine outdoors too. Some of the indoor trusses have up to 50 good sized tomatoes on them. The flavour is good raw and fabulous when grilled or roasted, and the flesh is much thicker than red varieties I've grown before. The only difficulty is getting used to yellow tomatoes.

One of the smaller trusses ripening

The flesh is unusually thick - they are wonderful grilled.








We picked the purple hazelnut harvest today. This is the first year we've had more than one or two - the squirrels usually get the lot, but this year we've not seen any squirrels at all. Presumably someone nearby decided they were an unwanted pest.

4 Comments:

At 11:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those yellow toms look great.

I'm convinced the yellows (well some of them) are sweeter and fleshier than the reds I've grown. Unfortunately the yellow cherry toms I grew were quite acidic and tart to taste.

Where did you get the seed for this variety?

And you're restoring a Merc 350SL -blimey where do you get the time - or is that why it's still a work in progress!

 
At 2:17 pm, Blogger Sue Beesley said...

Hi John,

The seeds were from http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk

The blog should say 'I was restoring a Merc 350SL' The poor thing is in bits in the garage...

 
At 9:08 am, Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

I would like to grow some yellow tomatoes next year...

any hints?


enjoyed reading your blog, nice to know you are not too far away.
I often travel to Manchester Airport, are you near?

Dx

 
At 10:02 pm, Blogger Sue Beesley said...

Hi,

There's nothing special about growing yellow ones. They need regular watering and feeding with a high potash feed as for red ones. And they always grow taller than I expect them to so I've adopted the cordon system of growing them up strings and trailing them along the floor when they get too big. It's worked a treat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker