Monday, September 18, 2006

Plums galore

Three years ago I planted what I thought was a damson tree. This year it has been laden with fruit that are much closer to a plum than a damson, sweet enough to eat off the tree and twice the size of the average damson.

The first trugful weighed in at about 18lb and I took it into to work along with a roll of poly bags. The second trugful, probably about 10lb has been washed, halved and frozen or stewed. I'm also experimenting with drying some in a low oven. I guess this all sounds a bit W.I., but I'm genuinely more interested in the tree. It's just that I can't bear to waste its produce.

About 1/3 of the harvest from one young tree.

2 Comments:

At 11:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering how long it would take to dry them especially if they are not stoned first - a long time I think?!

 
At 4:00 pm, Blogger Sue Beesley said...

Hi John,

I halved and stoned them first - they took about 6 hours in the oven to get to a semi-dried, ready to eat stage. And they are gorgeous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker