Sunday, September 24, 2006

Triple tragedy in the pond

Two weeks ago I turned off the pond pump as the water had dropped 6" overnight. I didn't think it would be a problem as I know of several ponds with plenty of fish and no pump running at all. And there are loads of oxygenating plants. Plus the pump wasn't really acting as a filter, just circulating and oxygenating.

Anyway, I went to sort it out properly today and found three large dead fish floating on the water. Now I know they are only fish, but two of them came from my parents' pond 10 years ago - an enormous ghost Koi and a large Orfe, each one well over a foot long. As requested by H2 we will bury them in the veg plot later today. I've reset up the pump and put some tonic in the water, but there is no sign of life. One less thing to worry about when we move, I guess.

2 Comments:

At 10:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah poor fish! And I don't know about just being a fish. I've just put ten small ghosts in my pond ( new last year but still not finished ) and succombed to purchase therapy at the water gardens when I saw two 8" Koi / Orgles? they're lovely whatever you call them - these are quite aggressive when feeding so we've called them Reg & Ron.

 
At 4:23 am, Blogger Giovanni Carlo said...

Sorry for your lost that is the challenge in keeping koi fish how to care them properly for them not to die young

ghost koi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Diary of a Weekend Gardener

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker